Sunday, January 23, 2011

Maximum Ride - The Angel Experiment

Maximum Ride - The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

I haven't really kept the promise I made to myself.  I wanted to write a little review about each book that I read, directly after I finish reading it, but I have read 3 books since completing this one.  I hope to do better in the future.

Alright, to get right in to it, this book REALLY freaked me out.  My husband Doug came home one day describing to me this book series from James Patterson about a bunch of kids that had wings among other powers.  The reason this freaked me out so much is, when I was 19 I had an extremely vivid dream about a group of kids that were destined to save the world.  In my dream, which extended over an 8 year period, the kids were given special powers along with instructions from unknown persons on how to defeat their evil enemies and save the world from becoming hell on earth, literally. 

I thought there was no way that James Patterson could have written about something I dreamt about 15 years ago.  That was impossible, right!?!?  Well, I started the book and discovered that they were completely different, or so I thought.  The lead character, Maximum Ride, or just Max for short, was a fourteen year old boy who was the oldest of a group of six kids who all have wings.  Well, a few chapters in I realized I was wrong, Max was a GIRL!  The same as in my dream, although I can't remember what my lead heroine's name was after all these years. Still, the similarities just kept getting weirder and weirder.

In The Angel Experiment, Max gets instructions from a voice in her head that leads her to certain discoveries about the groups past.  They are constantly being hounded (ha ha) by the Erasers, which are genetically enhances kids who can change into werewolves.  Max and her group of flyer's have adventure after adventure, trying to escape capture and imprisonment at a laboratory nicknamed "The School" while striving to discover who they are and if they have parents out there somewhere.

After the initial shock wore off, I started to wonder how James Patterson came up with the concept for the series.  I would love to contact him and ask, but I don't want to come off as a crazed fan, or worse yet, a person that thinks he stole my idea.  That would have been a nifty trick since I never told anyone but my husband.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the books just to see if I can freak myself out some more.  I would give this book a 5 out of 5 overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment