Thursday, March 10, 2011

Stardust - Neil Gaiman

Stardust - Neil Gaiman

I just LOVE to read.  My latest craze is taking all of my favorite movies and reading the books they were based on.  My first subject, Stardust of course.  I absolutely loved this movie so I was super excited to read the original story.

In the book we are introduced to the village of Wall, somewhere in England I think, so named for the stone wall located near the village.  There is a small gap in the wall that is guarded night and day in order to keep people out.  There is only one day that they are permitted within the wall which opens into a meadow, and that day only comes around every nine years.  It was on one of those days, May day, that Dunstan went wondering among the many booths that had come to sell their wares to the villagers.  He happened upon a young maiden and, well, nine months later had a basket left on his doorstep.  And that is how we meet Tristran, Dunstan's son and the main character in the book. 

I have to say that whoever wrote the screen play for the movie did a GREAT job.  I loved it soooo much more than the book.  The character that Robert De Niro plays in the movie, Captain Alberic, has a depth to him that I really missed in the book.  Also, the girl that Tristran is suppose to be impressing by bringing her back the star, she's is such a brat in the movie, but Neil Gaiman portrays her as a really understanding and remorseful person.  I actually liked hating her in the movie and didn't want to feel the compassion towards her that I ended up feeling.

All in all, the book gets a 3.5 from me, but the movie, which I know I'm only suppose to be reviewing books here, the movie gets a 5 out of 5.  You simply have to see the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment