Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sinister Sprinkles - Jessica Beck

Sinister Sprinkles - Jessica Beck
I did a little research on the author of this book, which I don't normally do, but something got me interested.  I have an inquiry on my blog on whether Jessica Beck is really Joaane Fluke, author of the Hannah Swensen series.  Now, I have compared these two quite a bit in my previous posts and it got me thinking, could it be true.  I discovered that Jessica Beck really is a pen name, the books that come out from her are spaced in between Joanne Flukes books and the artwork is also very similar.  I don't know, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it's true. 

So, this third installment of the Donut Shop Mysteries is a case of mistaken identity. At least that's what they think at first.  The murder victum in this book is the very same woman that Suzanne's ex-husband Max, cheated on her with. (That's not very good english, and Hannah Swenson would have corrected me!)  Max, goes missing and Suzanne finds herself trying to help prove he didn't do it.  She's not enthuzed about it at first, but decides to go along with it, a little to easily for my taste, but then again I guess we wouldn't have a story otherwise.  Halfway through, her boyfriend, Jake, pays her a visit, just to breakup with her and her best friend is flown out to California and offered a really good job out there. There are some awesomely awkward encounters with the local hair stylist and morning radio personality, these end a little too abrubtly for me, I was left wanting more.  The ending is pretty exciting, an awesome shoot out at the Donut Shop with an unexpected suspect turning out to be guilty.  And wouldn't you know it, Jake comes back to make-up.

There were parts of this book I liked and parts that I didn't.  I didn't like when people asked Suzanne for details on what she was investigating or what she found out, she thought for only a second and then gave some lame excuse on how she couldn't see how it could hurt.  If she wasn't going to hesitate to tell them, then why write any kind of hesitation at all, it bothered me!

This was really good light reading, and the recipes in this one were much better then the last.  I still prefer Joanne Fluke's writting, unless of course they turn out to be the same person and then I would have to say I like the work in the Hannah Swensen series better!  3.5 out of 5 for this one.  Next up is Evil Eclairs, but it's not due out until the end of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment